OPEN: MSc Thesis / Intern (Heat Networks for the Built Environment)
Published: 30 November 2018
Wattopia helps companies and governments transition to a zero-carbon economy. The focus is on the housing sector and built environment. Wattopia contributes through developing 'transition tools' such as business models and contracts, facilitating innovation and supporting multi-stakeholder collaboration.
Wattopia was created in 2009 and is based in Rotterdam. Important clients include municipalities, government, housing corporations, building companies and network operators.
Reason for the opening
We are currently helping a municipality in the Netherlands to develop a plan for phasing out natural gas from the built environment ("aardgasvrij") and facilitate the execution of that plan. We are intending to offer this service to other municipalities in the near future. To improve our quality of service and enable this expansion, we are looking for someone to help us deepen and structurate our knowledge of the district heating market and technologies.
- Extensively mapping the alternatives for delivering zero-carbon heat to Dutch homes and utility buildings through local, district or larger heat networks (in Dutch: lokale warmtenetten, al dan niet met WKO, diverse vormen van geothermie, stadsverwarming, riothermie, etc.). This includes:
- Mapping sources with estimations of total potential power, costs and risks.
- Mapping distribution systems with estimations of efficiency, applicability, costs.
- Mapping regulatory framework including opportunities, risks, limitations.
- Mapping stakeholders including location, activities, development, vision, availability.
- Helping compare these heat network alternatives to electric based heating alternatives.
- BSc degree in a technology field, preferably with an ample sustainable energy component.
- Good desk research skills, including how to reference.
- Decent people skills, since you will have to do interviews and work with others.
- Basic understanding of system dynamics, e.g. how to draw system boundaries, complexity.
- Proficiency with Excel.
- Working knowledge of Dutch. English is a plus.
- Enthusiasm about our mission, interest in the activities and willingness to learn.
- 0.6 to 1.0 fte position for a student engaging in MSc thesis research or MSc level internship, for 3 to 6 months, depending on availability of the applicant.
- Office to work from in Rotterdam. Working from a distance is possible.
- Start: as soon as possible.
- Supervision and on the job training.
- Insight into the energy transition market and related knowledge and skills.
- Remuneration: expensed covered, some additional compensation can be discussed.
- Possibility for (future) employment in this small but growing company.
Send your CV and informal/personal motivation to email@example.com. Applications will be handled on a rolling basis. The first suitable applicant will get the position. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to get in touch.